Our Lord of Mercy, Hatch, NM
Our Lady of All Nations, Rincon, NM
From its founding about 1865 into the 1890's, Colorado (later renamed for Congressman Bernard S. Rodey, New Mexico’s Territorial Delegate to the US Congress) was the leading community of the Rincon/Hatch Valley. Situated three miles south-east of Hatch, Rodey was a mercantile center as well as a farming village. For a while, Rodey became famous as the headquarters of the John Kinney horse stealing ring. St. Francis de Sales Catholic Church in Rodey was built between 1860 and 1886 by the Diocese of Tucson, later made a mission of St. Genevieve (Las Cruces) it began to keep records in 1889. It served Hillsboro, Lake Valley, Arrey, Garfield, Santa Barbara (Salem), Santa Teresa (Placitas), Rincon, Angostura, and points in between. The construction of Elephant Butte Dam in 1917 established the Hatch valley as a stable farming community.
Rincon served as an important railroad center for many years. With the decline of passenger traffic Rincon’s economy suffered and the population decreased rapidly. In 1937 Garfield became a parish in its own right with the missions of Hillsboro, Arrey and Kingston. Fr. Justin Klumbis was assigned Pastor in the middle 1950’s, he erected the Shrine of Our Lady of All Nations in Rincon. The date of dedication of the shrine is unknown. The original shrine was destroyed by fire and rededicated on February 27, 1954. On March 15, 1963 it was recognized a Shrine dedicated to Peace.
With the population of Hatch increasing and Rodey gradually becoming depopulated, in 1963 a new church was built in Hatch under the title of Our Lord of Mercy. Once the church in Hatch was completed, the seat of the parish was transferred there and the church in Rodey was closed. Fr. Arthur C. M. Morgan became Pastor in 1968. Our Lord of Mercy Parish now incorporates the former churches of Rodey, Salem, Placitas, and provides pastoral care to Our Lady of All Nations Mission in Rincon.